Poster Hall
Panels
Discussants Reflect
Resources
Whos Here
Open Discussion
Info Center
 Floor Plan
 Home  Poster Hall  Who's Here  Info Center  Keynote Address  Poster Hall  Keynote Address  Panels Discussants Reflect  Keynote Discussion
Open Discussion

Read Posts on This Topic

This message is in reply to:
Your Thoughts on the Conference? - Joni Falk

Posted by: Lynel Kantor
Posted on: May 03, 2002 at 1:42 PM
This is my second Virtual Conference. Last year, I just took a "virtual walk" around to get a feel for the atmosphere.
I think this conference is wonderful. It is a great place to hear and see what other people are doing around the country. It is also a great place to network with people doing similar things or things that can connect to our work. Last year's Keynote, Larry Cuban was great and I am glad that you provided his text again for this year. Michael Fullan's keynote is thought provoking and I enjoyed listening to the recording. We definitely, need more experts in the field of Educational Reform like him.

This year, I registered 25 people and we are trying it out together using laptop computers. Many people were interested in doing this as a group because they were not sure what to do, how to log on, where to go etc. Today is our first trial as a group and then the Math Staff Developers will go on individually at home or next week.
Many people did not know what it meant to attend a virtual conference. I am not sure if you did this, but I suggest writing up a little paragraph in the invitation that explains what this is for and about . Also, maybe a little note that suggests it is a low pressure environment that is easy to navigate through the different sections.
I found that people were immediately nervous or apprehensive when they heard it was a "virtual conference" simply because of technology!
We certainly need more educational reform when it comes to thinking about technology and learning.

Thanks,
Lynel Kantor
Netlearn Project Manager
NYCBOE District 2 Math Initiative
201 Warren Street
New York, NY 10282
212-385-3459

Home | Keynote | Poster Hall | Panels | Discussants Reflect | Resources | Who's Here | Open Discussion | Info Center
© TERC 2002, all rights reserved.