Panels Science and Literacy
Panels From LSC to fee for service
Discussants Reflect
Resources
Whos Here
Open Discussion
Info Center
 Floor Plan
 Home  Poster Hall  Who's Here  Info Center  Keynote Address  Poster Hall  Keynote Address  Panels Discussants Reflect  Keynote Discussion
Making the case for creating a continuous school improvement infrastructure?

Read Posts on This Topic

Posted by: Brian Drayton
Posted on: May 01, 2002 at 11:49 AM
As I read these two presentations, I was reminded of some of the LSC staff I've talked with in the past few months about sustainability. Mark St. John argues for an improvement infrastructure; Mike Klentschy argues that the nature of school systems requires a different approach. Now, I have spoken with people who say that the model of teacher PD they pioneered has been taken up by the district in various ways, sometimes with new funding from the state or a private source. At first glance, this seems like a piecemeal change, based on a district's being "sold" on the value of a new approach -- which sounds like Mike's view. On the other hand, if the district has put in place a process for teacher dialogue and learning, can't that be seen as the first piece of an improvement infrastructure? Maybe the metaphor is not the Golden Gate Bridge, but the International Space Station, slowly built up component by component. The role of the "design" and the intent ("will") then is pivotal for the realization of the long-term engineering feat...

Futher Replies or Comments

Home | Keynote | Poster Hall | Panels | Discussants Reflect | Resources | Who's Here | Open Discussion | Info Center
© TERC 2002, all rights reserved.